If you’ve never considered using props for a family photo session, or you’ve always thought the idea sounded more like an awkward, over posed production, this blog explains why props are the perfect addition to family photos and how they make photo shoots fun and relaxed.
As a photographer I spend lots of time capturing Melbourne families and love ensuring collections showcase the essence of each unique family.
One of the best ways to turn an ordinary photoshoot into something extra fun for the kids is to bring along a selection of props, allowing you to show who you are as both a family unit and as individuals.
They also help to create an even more personalised collection of photos, so as your Melbourne photographer, I absolutely love it when you bring along items that light up your world and represent you.
If you need some persuading on why props can take your photo session to the next level, I’ve put together a list of reasons below:
Reasons To Include Props In A family Photo Session:
- Feel instantly relaxed during your shoot- Props are a great icebreaker during photo sessions- especially if you have little ones who are camera shy.
- Accurately portray your family dynamic or highlight characteristics of individuals within your family- If you have an animal lover, a keen musician or flower obsessed child you can convey this through props.
- Spontaneity will take over- You might just forget you’re having a photo session when you interact with props
- Spark connections- Fun times flow when props encourage togetherness.
- They create an experience- Your children will love the adventure of being in front of the camera and the photos will express this.
I’ve also created a super simple list of things you can use as inspiration for the types of props you might want to bring along. You will probably find you have most of the prop suggestions around your home already.
Prop Ideas For Your Family Photo Shoot
- Hats or other headwear
- Favourite toys
- Family pets
On the day of the photo sessions it won’t be all about the props as it’s always going to be all about you and your gorgeous family. I don’t use props in every photo and we might not use every prop you bring, but bringing a few items (especially when photographing kids) can make images just that little bit extra special.
Don’t stress if you can’t think of any meaningful props to bring to your photo shoot. There are many ways to create playful connections between family and add energy to the session. For instance:
- Clothing- Have you got a dress or skirt that looks beautiful in motion? Think spinning around whilst holding your child up in the air and the beautiful way your dress will fall. The same goes for little ones who often like to run around during shoots. Skirts, shirts or billowing tops can make for beautiful action shots.
- Using one another- As a family you can bounce off each other with things like dancing, holding hands and parents can lift children into the air. Sometimes it’s the simple things that are most effective.
If you’ve been looking for things to do in Melbourne maybe a family photo shoot might just be the fun and exciting adventure you’ve been looking for.
For tips on what to wear to a family photo shoot and more about the experience from booking to receiving your prints read about the family photography experience click here