Capturing beautiful family memories with a family photographer is a really special experience. In this blog I’m answering the most frequently asked questions about family portraits and working with a Melbourne family photographer.
I’ll talk about what to expect when you book a Melbourne family photography shoot and how you can prepare for the family photography experience.
I can promise you won’t regret capturing beautiful family memories with a family photographer. In years to come your photos will hold more and more sentimental value as you look back on a time that once was.
Vision and Inspiration for your family Portraits
In the lead up to your family photo shoot we will chat over email and zoom. We work through photography ideas and preferences and I get to know your family. I provide examples of family photography styles and ask questions to understand your vision for the session.
This is a great time in the process to decide on an outdoor setting that best represents your family. We’ll define the types of memories you want to capture in the photo session and how you want to display your new photo collection in your home.
Family Photography in Melbourne- Preparing For A Family Photo Shoot
When it comes to preparing for your family photo shoot, there are a few simple things you can do to ensure your photos represent the essence of your family and showcase the dynamic of who you are. Here are my top tips.
What to wear to a family photo shoot:
- Choose clothing in colours and tones that complement each other (and your home). You’ll want to proudly display your new photos in your home so why not ensure they work with your home décor and interior colour palettes.
- Keep in mind your location, the season and time of day- These factors effect how many layers you need to wear.
- Choose outfits you feel comfortable wearing- Going with something you would genuinely wear will automatically make you feel more at ease. Never wear an outfit you feel out of place or awkward in.
- Avoid wearing logos and clashing patterns- This includes bold prints, checkers, stripes or plaids that can date and cause distraction.
Not confident with creating a cohesive colour scheme for your family photo shoot? This is where drawing inspiration from a selection of family photos can help.
You might also like to check out Pinterest (type in family photo outfits or family photo colour scheme). The inspiration is endless and I guarantee the more you scroll, the more excited you’ll feel about bringing together your family’s outfits.
Keep in mind that cohesive colour palette’s mean you blend together (in a good way) so that the focus becomes your expressions, body language and interactions.
How To Personalise Your Family Portrait Session:
If you would like to, I am open to you bringing along items that represent you and your family. This might be your family pet or anything that represents the core of your family values. Some families bring soft toys, a favourite soccer ball or instrument. If we don’t end up using the props rest assured we will get plenty of amazing shots.
Family Portraits Melbourne – On the Day
On the day of the photoshoot, simply turn up at the decided outdoor setting and enjoy the wonderful experience. The most popular family photo shoot locations in Melbourne include parks, gardens and beaches.
A quick tip is to choose a location that you relate best to i.e. if you’re not a beach family then skip the beach setting and go for a park. You can choose from my selection of recommended locations that are the perfect backdrop for family photoshoots.
Things to note about your family photo shoot day:
- I recommend families arrive at the location 10 minutes early to allow children to have a play and run around.
- My sessions always start on time and last for 45min-60mins. It’s a good idea to allow up to 1.5 hours.
- I will capture the natural dynamic of your family. I make the most of shooting spontaneous moments and soaking in the playful vibrance of your children being their bubbly selves.
- I am all about a relaxed atmosphere for you and your family and it will be fun.
- I capture a variety of images so you’ll have plenty to choose from.
This is the fun part. 1-2 weeks after the photo shoot, you’ll be invited to a design appointment where you get to sit back and enjoy viewing your family’s unique beauty in unforgettable captured moments.
Beginning with a custom slideshow showcasing you and your loved ones, next you’ll choose your favourite professional family images and we’ll begin to create a tailored photo collection that meets your needs.
Everyone involved in making decisions in your family attends this appointment and I recommend allowing up to 1.5 hours.
At the end of the process, payments are finalised and products are ordered.
- Products arrive 2-3weeks after final selection.
- Payment plans are available. You can commit to as little as $50 per week.
- Prints and Wall Art start from $395 and Print Collections range from $999 to $1995.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Who Do You Photograph?
I photograph families, children, grandparents and even pets on location.
How Much Does It Cost?
My initial session fee is very affordable at $150 for the session.
Included in the fee is:
- The portrait session valued at $150.
- A 5″x7″ Matted Fine Art Print valued at $125.
- A Wall Art Credit valued at $100 dollars.
- Total value comes to $375.
You can find all the details when you scroll to the bottom of The Family Portrait Experience Page.
You can also choose to order and purchase a range of products and printing collections.
How Are You Ensuring You Comply With COVID-19 Restrictions?
- Using outdoor locations
- Holding meetings via zoom
- Capturing photos at a distance- For family portraits I mostly photograph with a long telephoto lens
Making A Booking
There is an online booking form on the family portraits page of the website. Choose your preferred date and time and book quickly and conveniently.
Alternatively, you can contact me through the contact form and we can arrange a time over email.
Have any questions on booking a family photoshoot? I’m here to answer any queries.