When I receive a request for a wedding package or quote, I usually offer the option of a second photographer for an additional fee. So what are the advantages to having a second photographer.
- Having an extra photographer can add an additional dimension to your photography, most importantly during the ceremony. That extra set of eyes can really help get a better coverage shooting from two different locations particularly where space is limited. It allows us to be in two separate places at a time.
- Backup and support. Extra cameras and equipment help provide maximum coverage.
- Additional photos of your special day particularly detail shots of your day. The extra set of eyes can help capture those special moments
- Less time required for formal photography. There can be a saving here which may help pay for some of the difference in costs between employing a single photographer and having two wedding photographers.
- Coverage of Bride and Groom getting ready. If the Bride and Groom are far apart, it may not be possible for a photographer to cover both and even if they can, they will be away from one group missing shots while covering the other group.
- Support for the main photographer. Together we are able to carry a greater range of lenses and equipment, assistance with those special and tricky shots. For example, the photo above taken at dusk required an assistant. It was not just a matter of taking the shot. We used a flash on a remote trigger hidden off to the side and to get the shot I needed someone who knew what they were doing and understood what I was after. Without the help of the second photographer, I may have missed the shot or the shot may have been compromised.
- Double the coverage. You are most likely going to spend a lot of money on your wedding, why compromise on the photography after all your images will last a lifetime. Can you say that about the food and drink, flowers, wedding dress, wedding cars and most other aspects of your wedding day which will mostly last less than a day. With all the time, effort and expense that you have spent on your wedding, why not get the best coverage possible. With a second photographer, it allowed us to get the photo to the right by having one photographer in the gallery taking this beautiful image of the Bride and her long train approaching the alter while also have a photographer at the front of the church capturing the Bride approaching the alter.
Having two photographers at your wedding will give you more and better images, provides a level of insurance against malfunctions (yes they can happen) and any other problems that may happen on the day.
The only disadvantage to having a second photographer is obviously the cost. Employing another photographer and the extra images that will need to be sorted and processed will cost you a little more. Wedding photography is a luxury so why not do it right and get the best coverage. In most cases, the additional cost is not that high. If you are after a wedding photographer, why not talk with us and see what we can do for you to help get the best coverage of your special day while minimising the cost to do this.